2008년 11월 30일 일요일

4th Entry

What do mission organisations do for these people?

What is mission? Is there a difference between Protestant and Catholic mission when their belief is solely based on the same book, the Bible? Is this the limit of people's mind or are we all just analyzing the same book in many different perspectives? Who can mission and who can't? The past 16 years of my life I was exposed to many Christians and non-Christians who have many different beliefs. However, I was never aware of a culture as the Sawi whos culture is just completely different from the morals both the Christians and pagans that I have contact with. I have been taught by both my parents and the church that when there comes a time where Faith is strong enough that I should go out to the world and preach the word of God. They said that this was a process of becoming a missionary. Everytime I was exposed to this same idea of mission I questioned myself, what is mission? Is it going to new and different cultures in the world and preaching the word of God or being in the same environment as I am and doing the much as I can with the circumstances I am living in? I never really got the concept of mission although people around me had a clear definition. After reading "Peace Child" and "Eternity in their Hearts" by Don Richardson I think I got some parts of the very contreversial concept of missioning; I have come to the understanding that becoming a missionary is not just solely on saving others but saving yourself by reevaluating your Faith whilst teaching others.

Back to the question What do Mission Organisations do for other people? I'm not sure. In the article "Do missionaries destroy cultures" I was very confused. I mean I was brought in a culture which origin was not the same as those Western Christianity. I was taught morals and beliefs not only of Christianity but also of Confusionism. Through these experience I came to the knowledge that all those different cultures are supporting or are in some part of the whole concept of Christianity. Since I was younger I would always ask my mother how my ancestors got a chance or opportunity to be saved by God when there were no missionaries? My mother would always answer me in the same way, God has made the world in a way that even by looking at the nature and the his creations we are able to know that there is a God because of how perfectly and magnificantly it is made. After living 16 years I think I finally understand what she meant. Each distinct and unique culture in the world whether their title is different from God's beliefs and teachings there are some corresponding morals and beliefs with Christianity. For example while I was brought up in my Korean culture I was always told to obey and respect my parents. This is based on a wholey different perspective of the world, Confusioncism, yet it still corresponds with one of the ten commandments. Therefore, ultimately I think that those different cultures just enhance the ability to understand the complex word of God.

I thought it was wrong when missionaires went into people's ordinary lives and "destroyed their cultures." I think missionaries could have been smarter as to understanding their main beliefs and using those customs for their benefit in converting the people's religion to Christianity. Ultimately what I want to believe is that those missionaries are not disminishing a culture but rather approaching missioning in a way that provides the new cultures different ways in understanding the word of God than we do.

댓글 3개:

Jean Eun Jin Lee. :

"I think missionaries could have been smarter as to understanding their main beliefs and using those customs for their benefit in converting the people's religion to Christianity."

I agree with you on this because according to my dictionary, missionaries are meseengers of God who spread the gospel, not "terminators." The missionaries definitely could've been wiser at approaching a new culture. You may disagree with me but I think it was rude of missionaries to get rid of cannibalism. Yes, cannibalism is wrong but Christians have no right to "destroy" Sawi's culture. Reducing the cannibalism exercise could be a possible solution.
Great post! You got me thinking of what mission is:]

Grace ShinAe Lee :

Haichanaa~~~ hi:)
I have to agree with you about having doubts when missionaries "went into people's ordinary lives and 'destroyed' their cultures." Even though I am a missionary kid, I didn't understand why missionaries cared about other people's belief, when they so firmly denied to do so. However, by what you said, "Each distinct and unique culture in the world whether their title is different from God's beliefs and teachings there are some corresponding morals and beliefs with Christianity," I think it is true that all Christians come together with a corresponding moral/belief, and that we are brothers and sisters. I think it is our job to understand and appreciate those missionaries for their risky commitment, and how much they are impacting the world with Christian values.

choism :

Hey Haichan
I agree when you said that the "missionaries could have been smarter as to understanding their main beliefs and using those customs for their benefit in converting the people's religion to Christianity." There have been many occasions where missionaries have failed to fufuill the meaning of converting people to christians but you should rememeber that there have also been splendious dedication and determination that changed certain people's lives
Nice post